Thursday, March 5, 2009

Pump up the Volume? NOT!

Doctor's visits are a real toss these days. Why do they give you an appointment of 11:45, have you sit there forever and see you at one o'clock? Why didn't they just say come at one? Or better yet sign in by 11:45 and come back at one.

I know many would say they can't tell exactly when you'll be seen. But still. Sometimes it’s work sitting in those waiting rooms.

Recently, I sat in my doctor’s office patiently waiting to see the doctor. The waiting room was full. There were a few bugs going around and people filled the place coughing, sneezing etc. Now there are certain places where an ‘inside’ voice is appropriate: sitting on a commuter train, standing in an elevator and sitting in a doctor’s office waiting room. The only people I know who don’t get the concept of ‘inside’ versus ‘outside’ voice are children. (I have never understood why people tell children to talk in their inside voice. Their voices are all the same volume: LOUD!!)

There were a couple of people who apparently thought their ‘outside’ voice was necessary to communicate. They proceeded to discuss various topics. Now my doctor’s office is large and the waiting room is a good size. But when people are talking to each other like someone on a cell phone with a bad signal, the rest of us are subjected to the pain of having to endure their uninteresting conversation. It was not cool.

I texted one of my friends about the whole ordeal. It got to a point where I wanted to run out of there. Mind you, I was on the one hour until your real appointment schedule. So I sat. I couldn’t distinguish between the pain that brought me to the doctor’s office and the pain I was experiencing in being trapped and forced to endure these people’s conversation. On top of all that, the battery power on my MP3 player was gone. Aaarrrggghhhh!

At last, the nurse called my name and sweet salvation. I was free of the outside voice talking adults with no volume control. Thank you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

See, I hate talking. Period. So I'm reaaallly feeling this. lol. (and suddenly, i wish i had a sausage and egg mcmuffin. talk about late night cravings).