Tuesday, March 24, 2009

God is good.

A little over a week ago, my husband surprised me with a birthday party. I'm still 30-something, just higher in the decade. :-) It was really a wonderful affair. Family and friends came out to wish me well and thank God for another year. Words cannot express my gratitude. I am very blessed with a wonderful husband, beautiful children, a family I treasure and true and good friends. What more can a girl ask for?

Being the human that I am, I'm sure I could think of a few things. This flesh never seems to be satisfied. Yet, what's it all for? There are so many "things" I want. But the question I must ask myself is will it bring me joy, peace or fulfillment? More importantly, is it God's will for my life? Is it in His plan. Pardon me if I get too deep, but when I think of some of the things I want, it is rather comical:

A nice body. I mean really, what for? I'm married with children and I'm not someone who wears revealing clothes. Yet, I would love to look good in a bathing suit.

Higher pay. There is a whole volume of blogs behind this topic. Let's be real everyone wants more money. Poor people, middle class people and greedy AIG execs (I had to go there, LOL!). But I could use a raise.

Naturally black hair. I have been growing gray hair for several years now and I AM JUST TOO YOUNG FOR THAT!!!!

These things are a bit superficial. But there are things I want that are deeper:

A quiet spirit. It's definitely something Godly to desire. Sometimes I wish I could just be a quiet person. Not that I am all chatty and everything, but I guess we always want to be what we're not.

I want to please God. Yet it seems the more I try, the less I do. I'm grateful for His grace. I don't have to compete for His love or salvation. Yet, sometimes, it seems that everything in me is contrary to what God loves or appreciates. There are people I know with the qualities I admire as Godly. I don't always see myself as being on level with them.

To do work in a career that has my heart. Don't get me wrong. I like my job and what I do. I'm grateful to have one. But it's my job. My mother doesn't understand that because she sees it as a career. But I guess I want more.

Truth be known, I want to be perfect in every way. It's such a vain pursuit when one considers the perfection of God and how much He has made available to us. Frankly, it's rather daunting to think of what it would take to make me perfect."...Vanity of vanity, all is vanity" (Ecclesiastes 1:2).

When I ponder on God's love and faithfulness, I realize He doesn't love me less because I'm not perfect. I am so grateful for that. And he has blessed me so mightily that the fact is whether or not any of these things happen in my life I will forever praise and thank Him.

Go back to the top of this post. My husband, my children, my family, my friends and most of all my God. What can I say? I have it all. Thank You so, so much Lord.

No comments: